Tuesday, April 20, 2004

LICORICE: ROOT OF HEART PROBLEMS OR GOOD FOR THE BRAIN?

Margit Kieske should definitively read Peter Schwartz' article, The Threat of the Paternalistic State. Here is an excerpt from the article:

"A precondition of freedom is the recognition of the individual's capacity to make decisions for himself. If man were viewed as congenitally incapable of making rational choices, there would be no basis for the very concept of rights. Yet that is increasingly how our government views us. It is adopting the role of a paternalistic nanny, zealously protecting the citizen against his own actions. In the process, our freedom is disappearing." (Peter Schwartz, 04/20/04.)

I like licorice candy. It was one of the few things I had a problem to find in America. I didn't know about the American Licorice Company.

Read Licorice Root May Keep Mental Skills Sharp by Jennifer Warner (WebMD Medical News).

Fore more on licorice, go to Gernot Katzer's spice dictionary and Licorice.org (RealShopper.com Holdings).

Here are some of my favorites:

¤ Tyrkisk Peber (Turkish Pepper).
¤ Zwart Wit Kogels (Black White Candy).
¤ Bianconeri pure licorice with a mint coating.
¤ Salmiac pastilles.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more !!
    Look, I have been studying the licorice root subject for quite some time (actualy for my mom), and been trying to find products, as the root itself is hard to come by, until a friend sent me a website that makes antioxidant vitamins out of licorice root.

    I order it now online and they are great.

    If you're interested, here's the address:
    http://www.e-newcells.com

    All the best,
    :-)

    ReplyDelete