Thursday, August 7, 2003

SCHWARZENEGGER FOR GOVERNOR?

To my readers in California: Will you vote for Arnold Schwarzenegger? In one way it is a testimony on how bad the situation is in the state of California, if you can't get worthy candidates [via California Insider Weblog] to vote on and it gives the opportunity for a guy like Arnold to show up on the scene.

I have been fascinated by odd characters in politics for some time. Theoretically I would probably vote for a guy like Jesse "the body" Ventura, but I must say that I don't think that a third party candidate is really an option. A "reform" of politics is well needed, but it will take a long time and it should be based on sound ideas in metaphysics, epistemology and ethics. For an example of strange ideas floating around, check out the latest campaign by the "hippies of the right." The only way to go, according to my view, is to come up with a good Republican candidate. [Via BusinessPundit.] I thought that Steve Forbes was a pretty good choice in 1996, but later on he joined the "faith-based" crowd of the religious right.

So, maybe Arnold is the way to go? I don't think so, not after reading a profile on BBC news. Here is an excerpt from the article, Schwarzenegger and the American dream:

"Recently he said: "In the beginning I was selfish. It was all about, 'How do I build Arnold? How can I win the most Mr Universe and Mr Olympic contests? How can I get into the movies and get into business?' "I was thinking about myself... As I've grew up, got older, maybe wiser, I think your life is judged not by how much you have taken but by how much you give back.""

To me, he sounds like a compassionate conservative with altruistic ideals. What do you think?

For an interesting comparison between Arnold Schwarzenegger and Mike Mentzer, read John Little's article, A Question Of Character: The Objectivist Versus The Machiavellian.

No comments:

Post a Comment