Monday, July 11, 2005

TASTE OF HUNGARY

One of my hobby projects this summer is to create a scrapbook with photos from my school project in Hungary. I will show it to my classmates at our reunion in September. My tomato, paprika and chile pepper plants are reminding me about the time in Sopron. Here is an excerpt from Lynette Evans's article, Hungarian peppers keep dishes comfortably warm.

In Hungary, we had seen bunches of long red paprika pods hanging on the walls of houses and apartment buildings alike. The Hungarian paprika is the basis for many regional dishes, but as Dave DeWitt and Nancy Gerlach note in "The Whole Chile Pepper Book" (Little, Brown, 1990): "Bright red Paprika pods are not the only chiles popular in central Europe. Also proliferating in the region are yellow Wax varieties, which appear both fresh and pickled. The mild or sweet variety is the Banana pepper, as it is known in the United States; its fiery cousin is called the Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot. These yellow peppers, which run from pale yellow to red-orange at maturity, are particularly devious because their gorgeous golden appearance can signal either heat or sweetness to the shopper, and it is impossible to tell them apart without tasting." (Sfgate.com, 07/09/05.)

If you want to follow the development, go to my other blog for a link to my updated photo gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment