Sunday, January 4, 2009

CHEWING VIRTUAL STUFF

At the moment, I am a little overwhelmed by the the flow of information and it feels like the crow epistemology will kick in soon...

I would like to see that this post shall continue as a thread in the blogosphere and elsewhere, for example as microblogging tweets and messages at FriendFeeds accounts.

I will begin to use Twitter and FriendFeed regularly during this year. But at the moment it feels a bit chaotic. I had a similar feeling when I first started to use ICQ and other instant message programmes and when I visited IRC (InterRelayChat) channels. How much time should you spend on it? What will it give you? How to use filters, in order to reduce the noise level?

My basic position is clear and I believe that these tools can be used for both social and business. It appears to be a natural flow back and forth between the social and the commercial. Could this be the work-life mix that it talks about in GTD (Getting Things Done) circles?

I see that these tools will enable the exchange of tangible and spiritual things between individuals. Perhaps we can draw parallels to ancient Greece and Aristotle's school, Lyceum, where there was a continuous flow of lectures, discussions and conversations of various kinds.

Reading material:


Things that I will do in the near future:

Clean out some stuff at the "boxes" section on my Facebook profile. I am sorry to say, but I can't keep up with all the games, applications, etc. [Editor's note: That said, I am interested in getting in touch with someone who is creating third-party applications for Facebook and other social networking sites. It is for an idea I have chewed for a long time.] I like the new layout of Facebook with tabs. I think I will add a section for notes and a RSS feed. Please feel free to join my EGO blog network on Facebook. Thanks in advance for showing that you are a loyal reader of EGO!

I will try to aggregate as much of my stuff as possible into one place. I think that Scrapplet will be the right tool for this task. Stay tuned for my new start & homepage in the near future...

As a end note, I want to quote John Jantsch, author of Duct Tape Marketing: "Social media is a tool, it's not a religion."

1 comment:

  1. Cleaning out stuff in Facebook is indeed a very good idea Martin. I got very tired of all the vampires, snowballs, potatoes and quiz contests that never seemed to stop coming. Read this interesting article about social networks, "The Meaning Of Friendship": http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/12/24/the-meaning-of-friendship/

    Sincerely Jan

    ReplyDelete