Crepes Gundel Style
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 dl (2/3 cup) rum [Editor's comment: How about adding a splash of Vana Tallinn?]
- 40 g (2 2/3 tbs) raisins
- 20 g (2 tbs) candied orange peel
- 180 g (1 1/2 cup) chopped walnuts
- 1 dl (1/2 cup) heavy cream
- 120 g (1/2 cup) sugar
- powdered cinnamon
12 crepes (recipe #108)
- 2 eggs
- 2 dl (3/4 cup) milk
- 240 g (1 1/2 cups) semolina flour
- 2 dl (3/4 cup) milk or soda water
- salt or sugar (optional)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) lard
- Mix the cold milk and eggs with a wire whisk, slowly adding the flour and keep on mixing.
- Add more milk or soda water when the dough is very smooth.
- Melt the lard in a saucepan.
- Heat a crepe pan.
- Add 1/2 tsp of lard to crepe pan and swirl to coat the pan.
- Pour the rest of the lard back into the saucepan.
- Pour about 1 dl (1/2 cup) dough into the hot crepe pan, fry over over high heat, shaking and swirling the pan. The dough should separate from the pan.
- Fry for 5 seconds longer, then flip the crepe and fry the other side.
50 g (1/4 cup) butter (for browning)
For the chocolate syrup:
- 2 1/2 dl (1 1/2 cup) milk
- 30 g (2 tbs) vanilla sugar
- 100 g (1/2 cup) chocolate
- 1 1/2 dl (2/3 cup) heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 80-100 g (6-7 tbs) sugar
- 50 g (1/2 cup) cocoa
- 15 g (2 tbs) flour
- 5 cl (4 tbs) milk
- Soak the raisins and orange peels in rum for 24 hours [Editor's comment: Maybe you could speed up the time by splashing some Vana Tallinn to the raisins and orange peels?].
- Grate the walnuts.
- Bring the cream to boil. Add the sugar, nuts, a little cinnamon and drained raisins and orange peel. Cook into a paste. (You could add some milk to it.)
- Let the mixture cool down a bit and add half of the rum.
- Make the crepes as in the recipe (#108) mentioned above.
- Place the filling in a line on each crepe and roll them up.
For the sauce:
- Boil the milk with the vanilla.
- Melt the chocolate in a dish.
- Whip the cream.
- Whisk the flour and cocoa, add the milk and whip it until it is smooth and foamy.
- Mix in the melted chocolate, slowly whisk in the hot milk and heat to boiling point.
- Remove from the heat and stir for some time until it has cooled down somewhat.
- Carefully fold in the whipped cream and the remaining rum.
- Brown the filled crepes in butter on both sides until they become crisp.
- Place them on a flame-proof platter, pour the syrup over the crepes just before serving.
Read the following quote by Gundel on music and gastronomy.