Tuesday, July 13, 2010

FUN AND LEARNING IN LAS VEGAS

After Obama repeatedly told people not to have conferences in Las Vegas, I knew there was no way I was going to miss OCON 2010. Unlike those Sixties nihilists, I had no difficulty having a great time in Vegas: I celebrated the Fourth of July at the Red Rock Station, learned from John Lewis about the spectacular rise of Athens in the 5th century B.C., got an overview of Aristotle's theory of knowledge from Greg Salmieri, attended an enthralling poetry class with my new favorite teacher Lisa VanDamme, jumped off the tallest building west of the Mississippi, hovered weightless above the city looking down on airplanes flying below me, watched the towers of the City Center pass me by and glisten through the mysterious bluish-hued shroud of the tram windows--and dined at the Top of the World. These were the best two weeks of my life so far--no contest!

No comments:

Post a Comment